The internal enclosure of the Acropolis, built around 1425, consists of all units necessary for the fortress’s defense. The central circular tower is one of those units, integrated in the transverse wall that separates the internal and external enclosure of the fortress.
The big circular tower, in the form we see it today, was built in the first ottoman period. It was built in the remains of an old byzantine tower. The exact shape of the initial tower is unknown, since all previous buildings were reconstructed or adjusted to the later ottoman fortification. Few small parts of the old byzantine foundations used to be visible, but were covered or destroyed in modern interventions.
Right next to the circular tower, we can see a gate that connected the two enclosures, and used to be the main entrance to the acropolis before the external enclosure was constructed. This gate was protected by the circular tower, as a last defense point used by the defenders of the fortress against invaders attacking from the most vulnerable side of the acropolis (around 1520-1530 it was also fortified when the walls of the external enclosure were built). In mid 19th century there are testimonials describing artillery operating on top of the circular tower.
The tower was initially sheltered, until late 19th century (in an 1864 engraving it appears with a conical shaped roof), but during a period of neglect (around 1880), the roof collapsed. In the frame of the project “Restoration of spaces, Kavala Fortress (Restoration – Tower maintenance – prison – guardhouse – Kavala fortress)”, restoration works were carried out, such as rebuilding of the initial wooden floor, construction of a small wooden bridge that leads to the second ladder, construction of a wooden corridor in the external side of the ramparts and reconstruction of a new entrance door.