Located in the far eastern side of the acropolis internal enclosure, today we see the reconstructed building that is mentioned in the bibliography as “guard’s room”. A big quadrangular construction, dimensions 12metres by 8metres, with its south and north walls resulting in two triangular drums
that are raised substantially over the ramparts. It’s one of the buildings that have been modified and reconstructed over the course of time, to meet the specific requirements of the fortress’s operations. The various interventions are evident in the fortress’s masonry.
In the initial construction of the fortress, there was a small tower in that same spot. This is evident from a letter by the Venetian captain Pietro Zen, which describes in detail the Venetian attack and occupation of “Cristoupolis” Fortress in July 1425, describing that specific space. General descriptions from travelers during the following centuries, allow us to assume that canons were installed there facing the sea and the port’s entrance.
Around mid 19th century, a tower covered with a hipped roof appeared at that same space, depicted in a gravure dating back to 1864. In a 1918 photo, the guard’s room appears in the same way, but with its height a bit lower and windows on the side, a shape that is closer to how it looks today.
During World War II, two separate rooms used as offices were built in front of the guard’s room, blocking its entrance. They were demolished after the war.